Fed Minutes Show Worry Over Stock Market (02/18/2016)
In December the Fed said it was going to raise rates four times.
CNBC economists turned that claim into a prediction.
But now that the stock market has fallen this year those predictions are no longer valid and yesterday's Fed minutes show that the Fed is very worried.
"A number of participants were concerned about the potential drag on the U.S. economy from the broader effects of a greater-than-expected slowdown in China and other (emerging market economies)," according to the minutes.
Wall Street's skepticism that the Fed would raise rates at all this year increased after the release of the minutes.
Prices for fed funds futures implied investors saw a roughly 30 percent chance of a hike in December and less than that at prior meetings, according to CME Group. Bets on a December hike were about 40 percent before the minutes were released.
A number of Fed policymakers said the recent moves in financial markets "were difficult to reconcile" with signs of underlying U.S. economic strength.
Full story here.
Since the S&P 500 has rallied for four days off of its January low stock market bubble bulls are no longer worried and are dreaming of giant gains again.
Most Recent Posts
- Migration of the Tax Donkeys - Charles Hugh Smith (10/19/2017)
- Somalia Bombing an Outgrowth of Foreign Meddling - The Real News (10/19/2017)
- Seeking More QE for Japan — Abe Calls Snap Election - Brendan Brown (10/19/2017)
- Ochelli Effect: Ken Burns on the Vietnam War in 1967 - Mike Swanson (10/19/2017)
- Jim Cramer Defends NFLX Against Those That Sell - CNBC (10/18/2017)
- Fraud, Exploitation and Collusion: America's Pharmaceutical Industry - Charles Hugh Smith (10/18/2017)
- Trump And Iran: Have The Neocons Won? - Ron Paul Institute (10/18/2017)
- Slain Maltese Journalist Had Powerful Enemies - The Real News (10/18/2017)
- Porkins Policy Radio episode 113 Michael Swanson on Ken Burns Vietnam Propaganda (10/17/2017)
- What to Trade Now In the Markets with David Skarica - Mike Swanson (10/17/2017)
Grab This Free Report: My Top Options Trading Setup
This free special WSW report is devoted to my top options trading setup. I do this one simple trade at least once a month.
Grab it and get along with it our future stock market action updates. Do not think about buying any other stocks or options before you read this report. To get this report click here